Friday, May 15, 2009

When It Rains....It POURS

I went to the doctor a few days ago because of dizziness and fainting! At random times throughout the day I get very lightheaded and then my vision blurs...

I ended up being scolded by the doctor about my weight gain...again. She said that I am not eating enough or often enough. My weight will go up by a couple of pounds but then goes back down. After she got tired of talking she flipped through my chart and realized (9 weeks LATE) that I have really low blood sugar! No wonder I've been passing out!

Basically, when I did the gestational diabetes test around 20 weeks the results came in. Usually they simply check to be sure your number isn't OVER average...mine is much lower...

This is called hypoglycemia. It's caused by low blood sugar levels and excessive insulin. It tends to be common during pregnancy. The symptoms include dizziness, lightheadedness, shaking, headache, confusion, and changes in vision. I have had EVERY single one if these but it took me passing out for my doctor to connect the dots...

The baby is fine and not affected by this (unless I pass out and land on my belly)....

I need to be eating 6-8 times a day. If/when I get dizzy I need to sit down and eat something right away. I have to carry a small candy bar and peanut butter crackers in my purse with me. 
I can't really drive anywhere and am supposed to limit my time out of the house it I'm alone (basically I only get to go to the doctor)....

Over time I will learn how to control my blood sugar and also will be able to tell more quickly when it's dropping.  I'm not very happy to have ANOTHER issue to deal with but am very glad that we figured out what the problem was. 

Ill have my blood sugar tested again when I go back to the doctor on Monday.

No comments: