Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Baby Shower #2


On Sunday (June 14) we had our second baby shower! Oh and Caylee was exactly 34 Weeks!

I was very excited to see everyone and to get out of the house, so I was counting down the days until the shower. On the day of the shower I'd been having contractions for the past day and a half. I woke up sore and still uncomfortable.

I decided to go get a new pair of shoes to wear with the pink and white dress I'd planned on wearing. Of course, I got to the store and saw pretty dresses and so changed my mind about the shoes! Now this is where things went down hill... I wasn't in the maternity section and kept picking out clothes for my old (skinny) body! I took smalls into the dressing room (clearly in denial) and almost ripped the seams!!!

I was reminded (thanks Nancy) that I'm pregnant and so it's ok to need a bigger size! I tried on a few dresses that I thought would have looked great on the old" me but made the "new" me look like a big whale. I left the store near tears! I walked next door to get a hostess gift and was going to just forget about getting anything for myself!

I decided to at least take a look (I gave myself 5 minutes) to see if I could find anything that would minimize my huge stomach. The store I was in had a maternity section and so I grabbed two dresses (in x-small). The first was a black dress with some strange ribbons. I didn't even leave the fitting room! I was slowly falling apart.... Then I tried on a purple dress with a low cut top and ruffles covering my stomach. I walked out of the fitting room to see myself in the big mirrors...I started to cry!!! At that very moment a girl walked past and stopped to tell me how amazing I looks and that she LOVED the dress on me. We chatted for a couple of minutes and then she called her mom out to look at me. Her mom agreed that the dress was perfect. I thanked them both then ran to the checkout before I had a chance to my mind.

I cried again when I got home while putting on my makeup. I guess I was just hormonal and tired from the contractions. We got to the shower and things were great. Most people were already there, there was a TON of food, and everyone looked great. Shana had decorations everywhere and her house is beautiful!

During the shower some people were inside eating/cooking, some (me included) were sitting on the deck talking, and others were in the back yard playing random games. It was more of a party than anything else. Finally we all ate and then moved inside to play games! We did all of the traditional baby shower games including how big is my belly, what candy bar is in a diaper, how many pieces of candy are in the jar, etc. Then I got to open presents. We got some really amazing things! We got the bassinet that matched the playard, a couple of baby play things (mat and bouncer), clothes, diapers, and all the things I need for breastfeeding (including the pillow).

After the shower ended about 8 of us went to see The Hangover (which was hilarious). The shower started at 3pm and we didn't get back home until 11pm! I had contractions the whole day, was exhausted, but had a great time! I wasn't sure I'd have even one baby shower and so to have two that were great was really a blessing. We were able to cross almost everything from our list of needs for the baby which made both showers even better.

No comments: