Thursday, April 23, 2009

All About Sleeping....Not Sleeping Actually


What BabyCenter says about sleep during pregnancy:

Pregnancy, thy name is exhaustion — especially during your first trimester, when the sleep-inducing hormone progesterone starts surging through your body, and pressure on your bladder from your growing uterus sends you scurrying to the bathroom countless times every night. During your second trimester, a good night's sleep is likely to return, and with it, a welcome energy boost. Enjoy it; during your third trimester, the quality of your sleep may reach an all-time low.

Now, I know that it's common knowledge that pregnant people, especially in the 3rd trimester, have trouble sleeping but I had no idea how miserable this was truly going to be. 

While I haven't officially reached the 3rd trimester (I have 3 more days) I'm already miserable.

I thought that the sleep problems were all due to the weight people gained and that I would be safe since I've only gained 10 so far...wrong!

Anything I eat besides fruit at night (after about 7pm) makes me sick. I have the worst heartburn or acid reflux imaginable. Every night after dinner I slowly start to feel a burning sensation in the back of my throat and a lump that just sits there. The only way I can deal with this pain is to prop myself up on the couch! Laying flat definitely makes it worse but who wants to sleep sitting up?

Going to the bathroom at night is now just torture. I am getting up at least 4 times a night!!! It's nearly impossible to get a good night's sleep when you have to wake up so much! I keep all lights off and "feel" my way into the bathroom but still can't go right back to sleep  :(  I guess this is just practice for when the baby is here and I have to wake up for feedings every few hours! Oh the joy!

Now, as a pregnant person you aren't supposed to sleep on your back. The weight of the baby puts pressure on some vein that is kind of important... Preggos are supposed to sleep on their left side with a pillow between their knees...this, is definitely easier said than done. Somehow I manage to sleep on my stomach a lot. Now the doctor says I should stop this but it's not causing any harm. There will be a point in time when I really CAN'T do this because Caylee will be too big. The only way I can sleep on my side is to prop myself up with pillows (along my back). This lasts a very short time because Caylee likes to be a prankster and when I do actually lay on my side she kicks the side of my belly that is against the bed...

Speaking of Caylee....she wakes up every night at 11 pm!!! This of course just happens to be when I am trying to settle down and go to sleep. She eventually quiets down but then wakes up again around 1-2am... She kicks and punches like crazy, I think in an attempt to wake me up and get me talking to her! Obviously this is no a good way to get to sleep...

A big concern of mine is the baby's schedule! She loves being awake at night! Anytime I wake up to go to the bathroom she is already up and kicking around in there! I'm really...really hoping that she realizes at some point that night time is sleepy time!

Last night I cried until I finally fell asleep! After going to the bathroom 3 times and having trouble breathing I just couldn't take it anymore! The good thing about it was that I got my hair played with and was talked to until I just passed out. Being miserable gets you a lot of these nice gestures...although I think I'd prefer SLEEP!

I think that soon, I will be sleeping on the couch every night. We are going to get a new mattress to see if that helps me any and if not I'm just moving into the living room!! All I can think about is the fact that I have another 13 weeks of this!!!!

No comments: